October 24, 2011

Serve from the Heart - Rip Curl Pro Portugal 2011

Sunset over Supertubos


The Ripcurl Pro Portugal is over, the waves have receded and the hype of the contest is a now a faint murmur of the amazing surfing that went down over the past 3 days. As I count my blessings and reflect on the week that was I can’t help but feel privileged to be able to serve God in this ministry.

The act of service is something I feel is a key component to chaplaincy. I was able to serve some of the surfers by caddying for them at this event which is something they really appreciate. And even if it is a small support role I might be able to offer them, the message it conveys to them is much more then just the action.

You may have heard the well renowned saying, ‘actions speak louder than words’. I firmly believe in this proverb and try to apply it in all situations. It is easy to say something, however to live it is whole other aspect.

While at the contest I was asked to do an interview for the Catholic magazine of Portugal. One of the questions the interviewer asked me was, “how do you speak of Christ to the surfers”. My response was that it is not so much to speak of Christ but to live it. I have found the more I show the surfers the heart of God through my actions and the message of Jesus through my servant heartedness, the more they open up to me about their lives and the more willing they are to ask questions about my thoughts on God or the world in which we live. If you lead with your actions then words will soon follow.

I also got to spend a little time with Nuno (the regional chaplain for ASP Europe). It is encouraging to see the chaplaincy growing globally in surfing and that I can play a part in developing this. It's interesting to see now that chaplaincy is something which is not just accepted in the world of professional surfing but rather embraced. So please continue to pray for Chaplaincy, not just on tour, but globally, that every professional surfer will know a chaplain and the next Mick Fanning or Kelly Slater will have the support of Chaplaincy throughout they're whole career.


Obrigado
Abe  


Adriano wins the Rip Curl Pro Portugal 2011
Julian Wilson pulls in

Insert Surfer Here
Perfection